Pork shanks are a rich muscle to use in replacement of shoulder for any pulled pork dish you want to make. The bones add a depth of flavor, and the herbs are a subtle compliment to the pork!
2 Patience Farm, Pork Shanks
1 medium onion, sliced
2 C Patience Farm Pork Bone Broth
1 bottle of beer (or extra bone broth if you prefer)
1 Bay Leaf
2 Tsp Dried Oregano
Salt & Pepper to Taste
1. Set oven at 270-300 (or slow cooker at high heat)
2. Heat a thin layer of lard in a pan and brown the shoulder on all sides. remove the shoulder from the pan and add the sliced onions. Cook for 5-10 minutes until the onions are soft.
3. Pour the onions, broth, beer and herbs into the slow cooker and place the shanks on top.
4. Slow cook in the oven at 270-300 (or if using a slow cooker, set at high heat).
Cook until tender (3-4 hours depending on the size of the shanks).
5. Remove pork shanks and pull apart. Add back to the juices to keep warm until ready to feast! Add salt and pepper to taste!
Serve on a bed of mashed potatoes, rice or tacos!